International applicants: December 3, 2018
Domestic applicants: January 14, 2019
Applicants are considered under the School of Graduate Studies' General Regulations. Admissions are selective; possession of minimum qualifications does not guarantee acceptance.
Applicants must also satisfy the Centre's additional admission requirements stated below:
- Applications received after January 15 may be too late for consideration. Contact the Associate Director, Graduate for further information.
- Applicants with an MA in Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies or the equivalent from a recognized university, must have a standing equivalent to at least a University of Toronto A-. Applicants who have taken the MA through this Centre must be recommended for further study by the instructors whose courses they have taken. Applicants holding the MA of this University in another subject or its equivalent from another university will be considered for admission to the PhD program in light of their previous work and its relation to the centre's requirements; additional coursework may be required.
- Applicants must arrange to send two supporting letters of recommendation to the Associate Director, Graduate of the centre that address specifically their academic skills and research potential. Admission will be conditional upon satisfactory recommendation.
- Applications must be accompanied by a statement of research intent (up to five pages and bibliography) and curriculum vitae (CV).
Please visit the School of Gradaute Studies' English-Language Proficiency Testing page.
Deadline to apply: December 3, 2018
Please visit the School of Gradaute Studies' International & Exchange Students page.
1) Application Form & Fee
- Apply via the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies Online Admissions Application
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions
- The application fee is CAN $125
2) Supporting Documents
Include the following on your School of Graduate Studies Online Admissions Application:
- A curriculum vitae and covering letter outlining all activities pertinent to study at the Centre, in research, publication, teaching, and performing arts practice;
- Two letters of recommendation from instructors familiar with their previous academic work; and
- A statement of research intent. The statement is required to ensure: that applicants demonstrate promise of independent research at an advanced level; that their stated scholarly interests are compatible with the Centre’s available resources; and that once admitted, candidates proceed with their programs expeditiously and with focus. The Centre recommends a statement of about 1000 words, although there is no official limit. Additional letters of recommendation are acceptable if they relate to areas of the candidate’s background not fully explained elsewhere in the application (commonly, work and education outside Canada, extended professional education and experience, teaching).Note: further documentation beyond what is stated above–for example, creative and research publications–is not required and will not be read.
Application Status Check
Log into your Online Admissions Application to check your application status. Your application will be marked “Under Review” when it has gone to the Admission Committee for consideration.
Notification Of Admission Decisions
Decisions are made as soon as possible, rather than by a specific date. By the end of the current admissions cycle (typically in May) the outcomes of all applications should be communicated.
Possession of the minimum requirements of the Centre for Drama, Theatre & Performance Studies and the School of Graduate Studies does not guarantee admission. Candidates must be competitive among fellow applicants.
As a Centre for Drama, Theatre & Performance Studies master’s degree student, you have the option of applying to a collaborative MA program in one of the following areas of study:
- Diaspora and Transnational Studies
- The Knowledge Media Design Institute (KMDI)
- Sexual Diversity Studies
- Women & Gender Studies
- More possibilities, to be discussed in person